Blog Archive

Saturday 4 May 2013

Could we get any lazier?

The English language is a beautiful thing. Used correctly, it can lift you up when you're down or fill your heart with joy.
Used incorrectly, it makes me want to cry.
 I am still getting used to all the joys of my ipad which I still regard as a toy and not a real computer. "Dad, you need to down load an app." "A what?" Apparently, application has too many syllables for today's youth so there are now apps a-plenty. "
You could download the Facebook application or the Twitter application....you see my point....it is a loss of three syllables but how lazy do we need to be
Cars.
I needed to update my motor a year ago.
Exchange my little Blue Suzuki for a bad Black Hyundai. All the way through from the first meeting to the final transfer of papers, at no stage did the automobile vendor or myself suggest that we should proceed with the "part-ex." Part-ex! Part exchange is the phrase, this only involves the brutal amputation of one syllable.
GLEE.
A source of joy for many a small child over the last few years. My gripe here is not the shortening of words but the concept of the mash-up.
Nothing says I am talentless and uncreative like taking two songs written and sung successfully by other artists and musically welding them together because you don't have the talent to create an original piece of music from first principles.
We don't all need to talk like Nowl Coward to appreciate the English Language but it is sad to see it bleeding slowly to death.
Will today's youth shorten all words to monolylables before realising that even this is too strenuous for them so we will eventually end up communicating by multilayered tones of grunting......some teenagers are there already.

No comments:

Post a Comment