Blog Archive

Wednesday 8 May 2013

You want to shove a what up where?

So it's a kidney stone.
7mm diameter of solid gut ache that had me bent double and fearing the worst.  A C.T. scan was taken and the consultant gave me the news that they were going to put a stent in to relieve the pain.
"Will that be keyhole surgery?" asked Sheena.
At this stage I was kind of just wanting the pain to go away. " "No" said the doctor, "We shall go up through his manhood and place a stent with a camera to show us the way."
Whilst the family discussed and asked sensible questions, I lay there a bit on the stunned side. The thought that getting better actually had consequences.
Gabi was jovial about the concept that a lady surgeon had referred to my "manhood" kept her smiling for a bit whereas I developed some gallows humour as the nerves kicked in.
There was a delay as we waited for the off but then it all became a blur as I was whisked off to theatre.
A theatre full of ladies. " Have you been in an operating theatre before?" "Yes," I replied "the last time I was in a surgeon took the end of my willy off." Pointing out of course that I was referring to my circumcision.
It seemed like one minute I was describing my favourite type of whiskey and the next I was sitting up n recovery.  Things looked a mess as I had a quick glance down at the battle zone. They said they were going to put a camera up there.
It felt like an entire BBC camera crew and if you listen carefully I can still hear David Attenborough still in situ.
A paracetamol drip and an anti clotting injection to the stomach, a hug and a goodnight kiss from the wife and it was all over. Well round one at any rate.
What else could possibly happen?.

No comments:

Post a Comment