Blog Archive

Saturday 1 June 2013

Baby chick diary 3.

What do you mean it's black?

I went down to start cleaning up in the chicken shack and was surprised to hear a little cheep coming from underneath the three heads of Cerberus.....otherwise known as Jinny, Cheryl and Adele my three broody bantams who have shared the role of hatching my 5 eggs.

I started to peel away the feathers and wings to see if I could find the source of the noise and out popped......well ......PINGU. A baby chick that looked like an escapee from Happy Feet.

Small, cute and suitably shy for it's first public showing, I waved Sheena to come down and have a look. ......much "awe - ing" ensued.

Later I took the new addition to the family up to Bear's bedroom hoping that the cheeps would stir her from under her covers....it took a while.

I moved the small chicken run into the garage to keep the new chick and its three mums safe from foxes and to keep them cleaner than the outside chicken run would have done.

Now hopefully we will have more arrivals tomorrow as that is the 21 day incubation period completed.

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. We were sad to lose Dolly this week of natural causes. She would always be bustling about and complaining loudly with her big bug eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment