Blog Archive

Tuesday 30 July 2013

Dontcha just love chickens.

I do
Last week I though I was going to look Green, one of the craiginches chicks. She was on her side and not looking in a good way so I took her and put her into a basin of straw so she could pass in peace.
Five hours lat she was walking and the following days she was complaining to me forgetting about how she had bed laying still and covered in bluebottles.
At the weekend I let my Marans out. Eva and Beyonce spend their time together and don't go too far from the run. They are grey, have spikey little hairdos and have a distinctive cackle from the other birds.
Yesterday I let my babies Eva and Beyonce in with the rest of the hens in the run. The Barlinnie birds were trying to establish a pecking order. When they did, Jinnie, their mum would bunch up her feathers and see them off and let them know not to mess with the babies.
Last night I went out to lock them up and found that Ginnie and the babies have already established themselves on the top rung of the hen house. Poor Eva and Beyonce were on the bottom rung.
If only Ginnie had wanted them when we put them together on the first day.
They love a good earth bath to keep clean.
Why can I not nest here?

No comments:

Post a Comment